Our friends at You Magazine asked us for a good nut roast recipe. So we made one for them! This nut roast is absolutely perfect for Christmas Dinner.
1.5 cups mixed nuts (hazelnuts, walnuts, pecans)
1 cup cooked chestnuts
1 red onion
2 tablespoonsolive oil
1 garlic clove, mince
1 red chilli
100g chestnut mushrooms
1/2 cup (100ml) of veg stock
1 cup (100g) wholemeal breadcrumbs
1 tbsp of chopped fresh thyme
½ tbsp. of chopped fresh sage
a few gratings of nutmeg
a large pinch of allspice
1. Preheat the oven to 180C Place the mixed nuts on a baking tray and roast for 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then roughly chop. Increase the oven
temperature to 200C and grease and line a loaf tin with greaseproof
2. Peel and chop the parsnips, place in a saucepan of salted water and
cook over a medium heat until soft. Once cooked, set aside, Once
cooled slightly mash.
3. Finely chop the red onion and place in a frying pan with the olive oil
and a pinch of salt. Sweat the onion until it is soft and translucent.
Finely chop the garlic and chilli and then add to the pan with the onion.
Cook until soft
4. Peel and grate the carrot and finely chop the mushrooms. Add to the
pan and cook until softened
5. Add veg stock, bread crumbs, chopped herbs and spices to the pan.
6. Add the mashed parsnip and chopped toasted nuts, mix well. Season
with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Place in the lined loaf tin and cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes
covered. Remove the foil and bake for a further 30 minutes uncovered.