Our mates from AllPlants came in and showed us this amazing cashew Mac recipe. We’ve done “Mac and cheese” a couple of times, but this recipe is different, new and completely delicious!
2 cups chestnut mushrooms
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp liquid smoke
Crispy Kale & Tomatoes:
2.5 cups kale
2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Cashew ‘cheese’ Sauce:
2 tbsp dairy free butter
1/2 white onion
2.5 cups soy milk
1 cup plain flour
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup aquafaba (1/2 tin chickpea juice)
2 tbsp dijon mustard
Cashew milk (1 cup cashews & 1 cup water blended)
Enough macaroni for 4 people
1. For the mushrooms, chop them, spread them in a baking dish and drizzle with the liquid smoke, maple syrup, oil & salt, making sure each sliced shroom is coated. Roast for 20 minutes at 200℃ (392℉).
2. Place the kale and tomatoes in a dish, drizzle with oil and salt, and pour the balsamic vinegar over just the tomatoes. Roast for 8 minutes at 200℃ (392℉).
3. In a pan, heat the dairy-free butter, onions and soy milk and bring to the boil.
4. Remove from heat and pour into a blender, along with the flour, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, cider vinegar, mustard and cashew milk. Blend until smooth.
5. Pour the mix back into a pan and heat until it thickens slightly. Stir in the cooked macaroni and the roasted mushrooms, kale and tomatoes from earlier.
6. Serve and garnish with more kale and sunflower seeds
Liked this recipe? Try more BOSH recipes with these books.
BISH BASH BOSH!: The Sunday Times bestseller, packed with all your vegan Christmas recipes
Simple recipes. Unbelievable results. All plants. The highest-selling vegan cookery book ever
BOSH! How to Live Vegan . It covers all aspects of vegan living, everything from food to toiletries to travel.