we’re testing out carrot hot dogs… they’re oh-so trendy! But wait could it be one big practical joke that the internet is playing on vegans everywhere?! We think so!
4 carrots, peeled and ends rounded (find ones that are slightly shorter and fattish)
1/2 C apple cider vinegar
1/2 C water
1/4 C soy sauce (tamari or liquid aminos)
2 tbsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
4 hot dog buns
FRIED BRUSSELS SPROUTS:
2 C brussels (cleaned and cut in half)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
CASHEW CREAM SAUCE:
1/4 C cashew sour cream (https://youtu.be/seSjWWtqmbY)
1 tsp dill
2 tsp lemon juice
1. Boil the carrots in water for 10-15 minutes (until fork tender)
2. Combine the marinade ingredients for the carrot hot dogs together in a baking loaf pan or even a plastic zipper bag would work (we just didn’t have any)
2. Place the carrots in the marinade, making sure they’re covered entirely by the marinade. Refrigerate for 24 hours minimum!
3. When you’re ready to cook the carrot hot dogs either grill them on a bbq or cook them in a non-stick pan on the stove for 10-12 minutes, brushing the extra marinade on top to get them nice and glazed.
4. To make the fried brussels, just heat up oil in a pan and fry them for 4-5 minutes. Try not to stir them around too much so they can get some browning on them.
5. Then add salt and pepper and fry for another 4-5 minutes. Add in minced garlic in the last 1-2 minutes of cooking so it doesn’t burn.
6. Mix cashew sour cream with lemon juice and dill for a tangy sauce that goes great with the brussels sprouts topping!
7. Toast your buns if desired and place the carrot hot dogs inside. Then top with brussels and cashew cream sauce OR any other toppings of your choice.